Cardiothoracic surgery is one of the most difficult and demanding surgical specialties. It’s also quite competitive, given the limited amount of available positions because disorders of the chest are a leading source of illness and death around the world.
Cardiac surgery is used to treat a variety of heart conditions. Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery is one of many types of heart surgery. Heart surgery can correct issues with the valves and arteries of the heart, restore blood flow, or completely replace a defective heart. In South India, heart surgeries are performed in the best heart surgery hospital in Bangalore
Cardiac surgery has been labeled a dying specialty, with the field’s meteoric rise being masked owing to the shift away from open surgery and toward interventional treatments, which are already dominated by other disciplines, is changing the medical landscape.
What does a cardiac surgeon do?
A cardiac surgeon, also known as a heart surgeon, is a surgeon who specializes in the surgical treatment of persons of all ages who have heart ailments or disorders, as well as the blood arteries that enter and exit the heart and lungs.
Many disorders, such as coronary heart disease, heart valve disease, chest trauma, and end-stage heart failure, are diagnosed and medically treated by cardiac surgeons in collaboration with multidisciplinary medical teams.
A cardiac surgeon can schedule, evaluate, and perform a wide range of diagnostic and screening tests for cardiovascular diseases and disorders, as well as general health concerns.
The key responsibilities of a cardiac surgeon
- Examines a patient’s medical history and informs them about their condition, including surgical therapy and aftercare.
- Performs a physical examination that features checking vitals, vital signs, weight, and evaluates the functioning of the heart, lungs, and blood vessels.
- Prescribes drugs and orders and evaluates laboratory and imaging reports.
- Diagnoses heart and blood artery illnesses and disorders, both acute and chronic.
- Performs cardiac surgery, which includes both minimally invasive and open heart procedures.
- EKG, echocardiography, and cardiac catheterization are some of the diagnostic procedures that are ordered and evaluated by a cardiac surgeon.
- To give the best care, the cardiac surgeon collaborates with the physician, cardiologist, pulmonologist, and other specialists.
Various types of heart surgeries a cardiac surgeon performs
- Aortic surgery
Aortic aneurysms and dissections are repaired or replaced through surgery.
- Aortic valve surgery
An aortic valve that isn’t functioning properly requires surgery to repair or replace it.
- Congenital heart surgery
This surgery is to correct or treat a hereditary heart abnormality.
- Arrhythmia surgery
A surgery that treats abnormal cardiac rhythms such as atrial fibrillation or ventricular tachycardia.
A surgical procedure involves removing a piece of the enlarging heart wall.
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery
CABG surgery involves bypassing a blocked segment of the coronary artery with another blood vessel.
- Heart transplant
Advanced coronary failure could be a condition during which the heart is unable to pump enough oxygenated blood to fulfill the requirements of the body’s organs. In this case, a heart transplant from a deceased donor is the only option to save the patient.
For the best surgical treatments, one can consider the best heart surgery hospital in Bangalore
Although cardiac surgery has been labeled a dying specialty. This partially consumer-driven shift toward less intrusive intervention is an evolution in how health care practitioners must approach the treatment of surgical conditions, not a fall in heart surgery. The rapid advancement of new technologies generates an environment of creativity and change, which must lead to a new cardiac surgery perspective.